PhD Political Science (Science Po, Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne) and History (Università degli Studi di Bologna)
MA International Studies in Philanthropy, University degli Studi di Bologna
MA Political Science, Università degli Studi di Bologna
Dr. Bortolazzi joined the American University in Dubai in January 2016. Before joining AUD, he worked at the University of Bologna as Associate Researcher and Assistant Professor in the History, Anthropology and Cultures Department and as Coordinator of the Philanthropy and Social Innovation Research Centre (PHaSI, University of Bologna) for several years. He has also worked as associate editor of the academic journal Giving - Thematic Issues in Philanthropy and Social Innovation for five years. He has conducted several lectures and seminars at the University of Bologna and at other international academic institutions. Dr. Bortolazzi has also been a visiting scholar and researcher in numerous universities including University of Bath, UK; Université Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne, Beirut Arab University, and Lebanese American University.
Dr. Bortolazzi’s research interests mainly focus on politics in the Middle East; philanthropy, civil society and social/political movements in the Arab/Islamic world and in comparative perspective; international relations; political violence.
Dr. Bortolazzi teaches courses in Political Science and International Relations, International and Cultural Diplomacy, Politics in the Middle East, History of Philanthropy and Non-Governmental Organizations.
-  The Sons of the Revolution: Umm Kulthum, Abdel Halim Hafez and the Nasserist Regime. Between Artistic Agency, Propaganda and Nationalism in Sabella O. Abidde, Prof. Felix Kumah-Abiwu (eds.), The Political Impact of African Military Leaders. Soldiers as Nationalists, PanAfricanists, and Statesmen. Springer Nature [book chapter] https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-031-31427-8_18
-  From ‘Brain Drain’ to ‘Capital Gain’. Indian Skilled Migration to the United Arab Emirates (with N. Khan), in Md Mizanur Rahman & Amr Al-Azm (eds),Social Change in the Gulf Multidisciplinary Perspectives. Springer [book chapter]. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-19-7796-1_14
- [forthcoming 2023] Civil Society and Social Capital in North Africa in 2 nd edition of International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, edited by Regina A. List, Helmut K. Anheier and Stefan Toepler, Springer.
- [forthcoming] The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Islamic Finance and Economics, Encyclopedia voice ‘Sadaqah’, 2023 (Edited by Cenap Çakmak and Murat Ustaoğlu) [Encyclopedia voice]
-  Bortolazzi O. and Sarsar S. (eds), De-Orientalizing the Arab Uprisings. Journal of South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Special Issue). Vol. 45, No. 4. Summer 2022 [edited volume]. https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/48118
- Harakat Amal: Social Mobilization, Economic Resources, Welfare Provision. Journal of South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. Vol. 45, No. 1. Fall 2021 [journal article]. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/831821/pdf
- Management Context: Middle East & Northern Africa, in S. Topler and H. Anheiner (eds.) (2019), Routledge Companion to Nonprofit Management[book chapter]. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781315181011-8/nonprofit-management-context-omar-bortolazzi
- Between Tradition and Innovation: Blended Values and Approaches in a Palliative Care Ward in Saudi Arabia, in M. Malatesta (ed.) (2015), Doctors and Patients. History, Representation, Communication from Antiquity to the Present.San Francisco, CA: University of California [book chapter]. https://academic.oup.com/shm/article-abstract/31/1/206/3970881
- Youth Networks, Informal Society and Social Entrepreneurship. Case Studies in Post-Revolutionary Arab World. Bologna, Bononia University Press, 2015 [edited volume]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/02-youth-networks-civil-society-and-social-entrepreneurship/
- “The Normalization of the Unusual. When Immigration Becomes Slavery: Female Asian Workers in Lebanon”, in Africa e Mediterraneo, January 2014 [journal article]. http://www.africaemediterraneo.it/blog/index.php/quando-immigrazione-diventa-schiavitu-le-lavoratrici-domestiche-in-libano/
- “Zakat: the Islamic Tradition of Formalized Compulsory Giving”, in Africa e Mediterraneo, July 2013 [journal article]. http://www.africaemediterraneo.it/blog/index.php/la-zakat-limportanza-del-dono-nella-cultura-islamica/
- The Cedar Revolution, Youth Participation and Youth Organizations in Lebanon's Post-Intifada. Civic Engagement, Sectarianism & Identity, Voices on Arab Philanthropy and Civic Engagement, Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2013 [short monograph]. https://www.academia.edu/4450537/The_Cedar_Revolution_Youth_Participation_and-Youth_Organizations_in_Lebanons_Post_Intifada_Civic_Engagement-Sectarianism_and_Identity
- “A Divided Impulse: A Review of Anthony Trollope’s The Warden”, in Giving: Thematic Issues on Philanthropy and Social Innovation, Nuova Serie, N. 4 & 2013 [journal article]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/giving-nuova-serie-4/
- Palliative Care and Pain Management in Lebanon and The Role of Lebanon’s Independent and Non-Governmental Associations, in G. Gemelli G. Biasco A. Trombetti (eds.), Hospice & Multiculturality, Bologna, Bononia University Press, 2013 [book chapter]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/hospice-e-multiculturalita/
- Hospice & Palliative Care: Pictures in Multicultural Societies Today. An Introduction, in G. Gemelli G. Biasco A. Trombetti (eds.) Hospice & Multiculturality, Bologna, Bononia University Press, 2013 [introduction]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/hospice-e-multiculturalita/
- Iraqi Women Between Civic Engagement, Social Change and Politics From the ‘Awakening' to the 1968 Coup d’état, in Casanova C. e Lagioia V. (ed.), Genre et Histoire. Parcours. Bonomia University Press, Bologna 2014 [book chapter]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/genere-e-storia-percorsi/
- La comunità islamica di Bologna. Note per una storia, in Lagioia V. (ed.), Storie di invisibili, marginali ed esclusi, Bologna, Bononia University Press 2012 [book chapter]. https://buponline.com/prodotto/storie-di-invisibili-marginali-ed-esclusi/
- Hezbollah: Between Islam and Political Society. Popular Mobilization and Social Entrepreneurship in Lebanon, Takaful 2011, American University in Cairo Press, John D. Gerhart Center, 2011. http://www.campusincamps.ps/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/TakafulFinal.pdf#page=32