The Mohammed Bin Rashid School for Communication (MBRSC) in collaboration with the Dubai Press Club (DPC) offers a custom-designed, accredited “Diploma Program for Social Media Influencers”. The program is intended for a select group of Arab active as well as aspiring social media influencers based in the UAE—initially estimated at around 100 individuals in total. The program is being offered successively to cohorts of 20 students.
Program Objectives (POs)
The main objectives of the program are:
- To produce, through completion of an accredited program, certified Arab social media influencers who are well trained in strategic communications and who can represent the UAE on social media platforms by responding professionally to business, economic, political and social issues.
- To expand the existing professional knowledge of active and aspiring Arab social media influencers and enable them to produce innovative and effective content in order to keep pace with ongoing changes and rapid developments affecting social media.
- To develop and improve the mindset of influencers in line with future trends and with the UAE government’s vision.
- To investigate present and evolving new media practices and understand new forms of media-related behaviors.
- To develop and improve Arab social media influencers’ strategic outlook and enhance the Arabic content on social media platforms.
Program Learning Outcomes (LOs)
Upon completion of this program, participants will demonstrate:
- Understanding of the advanced features of the different social media platforms.
- Ability to select the most appropriate platform(s) for different purposes.
- Ability to use public speaking and presentation skills effectively.
- Ability to develop creative content for use on social media platforms—in particular, in developing Arabic content.
- Ability to develop a social media strategy aligned to the UAE government roadmap.
- Understanding and implementing the ethics and etiquette of social media and positively representing UAE citizens.
- Ability to use conceptual knowledge and practical skills to examine news and detect fake news.
Contact Hours and Duration
This is a six-course program (45 contact hours per course) offered over two semesters so that students can complete the program in eight months of study.
Venue and Faculty
Classes are held on the campus of the American University in Dubai (AUD). Faculty from AUD’s Mohammed Bin Rashid School for Communication (MBRSC) are the course instructors. They are supported by adjunct faculty who are seasoned media professionals and by guest speakers who are notable social media influencers. Bilingual (English-Arabic) faculty are present to support instruction by non-Arabic speaking faculty as needed.